- Outline the gate theory of pain and explain therapeutic ways to block pain using the gate theory.
- Describe the therapeutic actions, indications, pharmacokinetics, contraindications, most common adverse reactions, and important drug–drug interactions associated with narcotics .
- Discuss the use of narcotics drugs across the lifespan.
- Compare and contrast the prototype drugs morphine, pentazocine, naloxone.
- Outline the nursing considerations, including important teaching points, for patients receiving a narcotic .